Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Crochet Corner--Scarves and Shawls

As much as I would like to totally envelope myself in crochet and roll around in it . . . well, it just wouldn't be "cool".  Since I'm an avid crocheter and a baby novice knitter, I have given a lot of thought to what it means to wear something you made. I mean, you want people to say, "Did you MAKE that? Cool!" You don't want them to whisper behind your back that it looks like something their grandma made in 1972. Admit it; you have somewhat of an ego too. Come on. I mean, I'm learning about courage, self expression and wearing what you like, but at the end of the day I don't want what I wear to be so whacked out that people wonder about my sanity. One safe way that you can play with crochet is to add a crochet accessory like a scarf or shawl. The yarn I chose for this shawl is bright scarlet Berroco "Seduction". With a name like that, there's no way it could be a "granny shawl". It was purchased in Savannah at Wild Fibre, the first real yarn store I ever visited. Ah, good memories!

Hmmm. I'm posed in a decidedly non-seductive pose in my "burn at the stake" pose against a post under my deck. I've got to find a new pose. This has become my default one when I don't want to figure out what to do with my hands. Still not totally at peace with photographing myself I guess. Here's a back view of the shawl. It's got some imperfections but I love it.

1 comment:

  1. It was a very good post indeed. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it in my lunch time. Will surely come and visit this blog more often. Thanks for sharing.
    Solid Scarves UK

    ReplyDelete